If you are part of any type of motor vehicle accident, you need to take the right steps. Doing so will put you in a better position, both in regard to your health and your financial well being.
Here are the seven key steps to take after a motor vehicle accident:
- Check yourself for injuries. You need to better understand your injuries, as this will help you make the right decisions in regard to your treatment.
- Help others check for injuries. This is even more important if there are any young children or elderly individuals in your vehicle.
- Move your car to safety. As long as you are okay to do so, move your car to the side of the road, as this can help prevent another accident.
- Call 911. Even though police may arrive on their own, you want to call 911 to speed up the process.
- Wait for help to arrive. You don't want to do anything until police and an ambulance arrive at the scene.
- Exchange basic information, such as insurance details, with the other driver.
- Document the accident, which includes taking photos of your injuries and damage.
Once you do these things, you'll feel better about your situation. You should also notify your insurance company as soon as possible.
As soon as you receive treatment and are on the path to making a recovery, you'll also want to learn more about your legal rights. For instance, if the other driver was acting in a negligent manner, you may be able to file a lawsuit with the idea of receiving compensation.
You have legal rights, and you must do whatever it takes to protect them in the event of a motor vehicle accident.